Friday, February 15, 2013

The Young Master - Jackie Chan (1980) - Chat Sing Temple, Ma On Shan

Andi has already covered this location quite well in his HK Movie Tour blog but I thought it is worth mentioning that it also gets a very very brief show (blink and you'll miss it) in JC's The Young Master. You catch a quick glimpse whilst JC is doing his best to run away from the Police Chief's son (played by Yuen Biao).


The wall in front of this temple seems to be almost unique in HK and I can't recall having seen anywhere else with it. I have no idea of the purpose it serves other than being decorative. It's no surprise this location was used again in this film as The Young Master shares two locations with Drunken Master, this one and the sandy path that used to be located next to Starfish Bay - both locations within 1km of each other.

Anyway, here is a modern view via Streetview and seeing as this film was only shot 33 years ago (I'm writing this in 2013) it wouldn't surprise me if the tree you can see on the left above is the same one you can see to the right of the temple below.


On a side note, despite watching this film many times in my youth I was too naive to realise that JC gets his super strength from drinking the water from Fung Fung's opium pipe in the grand finale (location to be revealed in a later post).

No comments:

Post a Comment