Thursday, September 12, 2013

I Spy (TV Series) - Robert Culp (1965) - Shek Kip Mei Estate, Sham Shui Po

Pretty much done the screen shots for Affair in T'sien Cha now, a couple of street shots left which I may put up on my help page for those interested in helping out, but before then here is a small shot taken in what I can only assume is the H Blocks of Shek Kip Mei estate. I'm fairly sure that Kwun Tong Resettlement Estate also had these particular H-shaped blocks (as well as Wong Tai Sin and Cheung Sha Wan estates), but from a practicalities of filming point of view I feel this was taken in SKM. Please feel free to correct me, the good things about these posts is that they aren't set in stone and it wouldn't be the first time I have had to change what I previously thought was a spot on location...


What I am not sure about is which street this is, although to be fair in the estate there is only really two that had this aspect: Berwick Street and Woh Chai Street. I can't decide which it is until I get more info. Anyway, until then, corrections welcome :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

If it is Shek Kip Mei, it would be likely Berwick Street. This being if you were in Woh Chai Street back then, both sides of it would be lined with these H-Shaped buildings. The business sign shown in the extreme left would be unlikely there.

My two cents,
T

Phil said...

I did wonder about Berwick St, T. The reason was - what seems to be from this angle - the large space next to the building at the back. My 1964 map (i.e. the year before this was filmed) shows a large open space 2 buildings along from Pak Tin St. If this is Berwick St then we are looking NW and the far end of the street (but just out of sight) would be where Mei Ho House still sits (now a museum).

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying I think you may be right :-)
Phil

Phil said...

I just had another thought, this could also be the old Lei Cheng Uk estate. However, I shall leave it as SKM until someone tells me differently (or I find out by myself).

Post a Comment