Saturday, February 28, 2015

That Man Bolt - Fred Williamson (1973) - HSBC Building, Queen's Road Central

The bank for which Bolt has to do his couriering is an anonymous place by all accounts and staffed by none other than Geoffrey Weeks who also played the Braithewaite character in Enter the Dragon.
On an aside, Chaplin Chang told me Geoffrey Weeks was a radio host with RTHK (Radio Television Hong Kong). I went and asked Annemarie Evans (an RTHK presenter) about this and she confirmed he was.

Never having seen (up until this post, at least) this side of the old HSBC building before, I wasn't even sure this was filmed in Hong Kong at all. I just didn't recognise the place. It has since popped up in a few more films but for a while I was confused. This building - the 3rd version at this address - was built in the 1930's and lasted up until 1984 when it was replaced by the current Norman Foster-designed HQ.

This is the entrance that fronts Queen's Road and its not often seen. Thankfully, the photographer Harrison Forman did get a decent picture of this side in the 1940s giving me the conformation I required. I can't seem to embed the picture here so please follow this link:

http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/cdm/ref/collection/agsphoto/id/18301

Anyway, here's how it looks on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment