Friday, March 17, 2023

The Killer - Chow Yun Fat (1989) - View from the Peak

Next up The Killer, the John Woo classic. To kick off my deep dive into the locations we start with the opening scenes taken from the Peak and looking down into the harbour. It's a night shot so it's difficult to make out much detail other than the fact that the Bank of China Tower still looks to be under construction. You can compare its condition to this recent post for Police Story 2 which was filmed not that long before (6 months?).

If you are here to finally find out where the famous church from the finale was located, I'm afraid you will be disappointed because I don't believe it was a real place. However, some other locations for several of the set pieces were real and I have managed to track a few of them down.

2 comments:

Rodney said...

Nice to see your blog back, Phil. I didn't realize it came back online and thought it had been reduced to rubble permanently like many of the old houses.

I saw your gwulo asking about the house in The Killer and the neighbouring property. You may want to look at a film, Passion (1986) if you are trying to identify the locations in The Killer because I believe it was also filmed around Tai Po Kau.

Pip the Troll said...

thanks Rodney. I accidentally deleted it last summer. Luckily had made a recent backup so not very much was lost.Just a pain as all my links are now broken. I'll keep an eye out for "passion". Actually,I already identified most of the locations already, just curious about the history of the house as it is unmarked on maps and I know there are afew old Tai PoKau dwellers amongst gwulo readers. Let's see if any notice the post. Phil

Post a Comment