Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I Spy (TV Series) - Robert Culp (1965) - Lung Yu Restaurant, Jordan Road

Here's a place I had no idea existed, but after seeing the screen grabs I am quite taken with the exterior decoration. I can't think of anywhere in HK that is quite as flamboyant as this was with the exception of the Jumbo Kingdom in Aberdeen.


The railings in the middle of the road initially made me think of Nathan Road, but it turns out that this restaurant was in fact on the corner of Jordan Road and Battery Street. The Chinese name of the place was 龍如大酒家 (Lung Yu Restaurant). I'd love to hear comments from anyone that remembers this place. Anyway, it turns out that the building itself is still standing, it's called Booman House and looks pretty much the same minus the various decorations.


It looks as though the block to the left (the empty one we see as the car passes in the screen grabs) was preparing for the construction of #39 - 41 Jordan Road which were completed in 1966 - a year or so after this series was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment