Friday, October 2, 2015

Knock Off - Jean Claude Van Damme (1997) - Centre Street, Sai Ying Pun

Here's another missed post, this time from the rickshaw race, however this was deliberate because I was having a hard time matching it to anywhere. In the end my mistrust of movie geography has been my downfall because it turns out that this is the upper end of Centre Street in Sai Ying Pun and is pretty much where the race continues after the nifty turn at the bottom of St Stephen's Lane.

The reason why I was having a hard time matching it is because this part of Centre Street - between Bonham Road and Third Street - has been completely renovated to incorporate an escalator - stage 1 of a system that will rival the existing mid-level's escalator in Central. As far as I can tell (though the final verdict may well have to wait until a personal visit can be made) those steps that gave the street quite a bit of character have all gone.

If you ask me it's a really big shame and just I feel that streets like these should be protected as much as old buildings, but that's just me.

6 comments:

Ross said...

I found this page looking for this scene! I couldn't remember what movie it was in. I watched the stuntmen film this at Centre St Markets, and I'm pretty sure there was a scooter/motorbike as well, which must have been cut.

Phil said...

Hi Zevi, thanks for dropping by. I know Jude Poyer (who was in the film) used to read this blog so perhaps if he sees this he may recall what you are talking about (he kindly sent me his BTS photos from this sequence). Cheers, Phil

Ross said...

Hi Phil, after posting that comment, I kept scrolling and I realised that I saw this scene AND the scene from "Les Anges Gardiens" getting filmed there. That is the one with the bike.

It's funny to look at these spots now (I haven't been back since 1998) and remember those streets!

Phil said...

Ross…your name changed! Lol, anyway, glad the mystery has been solved. Well all I can say is in my whole 16+ years in HK I have seen only 1 major movie being filmed…it was the cargo plane flight in The Dark Knight. It was shot during the day (they used a filter to turn it into a night scene) and we watched the plane flying through the harbour. So you have me beat on that front. I need to hang around HK Island more obviously. Phil

Ross said...

I have no recollection of the last time I used a blogger comment, and I have no idea why that name was there! Just changed it once I saw it post. I used to live up the road from Centre St, so I saw those two scenes. The rickshaw race past the 7/11 brought back memories of walking down that lane daily, walking to the bus. I did work experience at the vet there! The scene was brought up in my family the other day, which lead me to your site, and I'm thankful for it! I have already spent some time going through looking at the locations, and it has been very nostalgic!

Phil said...

glad my little site has stirred some memories, Ross. That's one of the reasons I do it. I've had people contact me about films shot as far back as the 50s and 60s with some great memories, so feel free to share. Phil

Post a Comment