Saturday, October 6, 2018

A Lotus for Miss Quon - Lang Jeffries (1967) - Salisbury Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui

One of the only locations filmed outside of the NT appears to be this brief shot showing the Venus Bar. It's supposedly the club where Miss Quon works and Jason goes to relax. It's also owned by a shady character called Blackie with whom Jason tries to hatch a plan to escape to HK with the diamonds.

In real life the Venus Bar was on Salisbury Avenue in TST (#14) but if you try and look for that name now you won't find any modern reference to it. I'm not sure of the why or when but the street name was changed to Hau Fook Street. It's a small dead end off Carnarvon Road nestled about halfway between Cameron  and Granville Roads. I think the film was shot in 1966 (according to an online interview with Sal Borgese) so I'm not sure if Savoy Mansion (the building occupying the address and built that same year) is the building on screen.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I should mention that I found the year of the name change and it was 1978. See my comment on gwulo here: https://new.gwulo.com/comment/60733#comment-60733

Post a Comment