Sunday, October 20, 2019

Powaqqatsi - Godfrey Reggio (1988) - Cross Harbour Tunnel, Hong Kong

I'm interrupting the black and white transmission for a little spot of colour before getting back into the 1960 Hong Kong series.

The film I am interrupting it with is a bit of a weird one in that it's a documentary with no commentary other than a rather cool Philip Glass soundtrack. I think I first heard about Powaqqatsi via a comment when this locations blog was first set up. It really slipped my mind until recently when I went on another seek and find and managed to locate an old copy in one of the used DVD stores in Mongkok. Anyway, for those that don't know it is a sort of music and film compilation that takes us through various places in the world . The cinematography is absolutely stunning and luckily there are several sequences that were shot in Hong Kong. I think I captured them all but I may have missed some because of the way the filming was done. So if anyone is familiar with the film and recognises a snippet that has been bypassed, please feel free to let me know.

Anyway, the first scene I recognised - helped by the addition of the Hong Kong urban taxi in the frame) is the Cross Harbour Tunnel. This is the original tunnel, from Hung Hom to Causeway Bay, that was first opened in 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment