Monday, February 7, 2022

The Last Time I Saw Macao - João Rui Guerra da Mata (2012) - former Bela Vista Hotel, Macau

So even though Da Mata is supposed to be at the Club Militar, the film makers have bamboozled me a bit by intermingling the club footage with the interior from the Portuguese Consul's residence - the former Bela Vista Hotel. For some interesting insights into the former hotel I encourage you to go to this link on my other blog and read the text that includes comments from one of the former proprietors.

The reason I recognised the staircase in the following shots was because the same one appeared in Pierce Brosnan's Around the World in 80 Days, which I covered several years ago. I have no knowledge of the production of this film, but I get the feeling the club was not up for anyone filming inside and the Consul probably welcomed his fellow compatriots with open arms, but I'm just guessing.

The initial image is of the road up to the building. The camera is located on one of the hairpin bends on Calçada do Bom Parto where we can see up to the former hotel and down to the main road. This is one of the establishing shots used for the Club Militar footage.


After the external shots of the Club Militar, and then the cheeky through-the-window shots, we are given these images of what most people would assume to be a staircase inside the club, but obviously now you know differently. If you click on the Around the World in 80 Days link above, you'll see the same columns and banister (as well as entrance stairs).

No comments:

Post a Comment