Monday, October 30, 2023

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - Stephen Rea (1995) - The Peak Tram Open Top Bus, Central

I'm not sure if this thing still runs, I don't think it does but I could be wrong because I have only just made it back up to the Peak following a break of almost 10 years. Lots has changed. I didn't see this bus around so I assume it has gone the way of many other great things (some tangible, some not so) in Hong Kong and disappeared.

 Anyway, back during my multiple trips in the 90s you used to be able to catch this free, dedicated open-top bus from Edinburgh Place, outside the old Star Ferry pier. It didn't go to the Peak, it just trundled up to the Lower Peak Tram Terminus, offload and refill passengers, and then go back down again, but it was a short and very enjoyable journey through a small part of Central. Did I mention it was free? Nikos and Li do the same in the film, although they don't appear to be quite as excited about it as I used to get all those years ago.

Fun fact: when I first moved to Hong Kong in 2006, I think a one way ticket on the peak tram was HK$14, and a return $28. Now it's $62 for a one way trip and $88 for a return and each tram now has four carriages (it used to be two).

No comments:

Post a Comment