Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bloodsport - Jean Claude Van Damme (1987) - Tin Hau Temple, Kowloon Walled City, Kowloon

Well, we've seen the outside of the walled city, we've seen a few shots taken inside some of the alleyways inside the walled city, now here we have a picture of the city's Tin Hau Temple.

I scratched my head for a while wondering if this was filmed in a studio or actually done on location and have come to the conclusion that it was on location. Why? Well, because thanks to the Facebook group: Kowloon Walled City 九龍城寨 (九龍城砦), I found a picture of the temple front allowing me confirm its identity.



The above picture was grabbed from the title sequence, but we return to the same location later with ol' Gibbsy and Van Damage as they enter what is supposed to be the venue for the Kumite. I believe the actual fight scenes were filmed at Clearwater Bay Studios on Ying Yip Road.


A nice touch with the pot plant...

So anyway, here is the picture from the above mentioned Facebook group. Incidentally, this Tin Hau temple has been mentioned elsewhere in the arts world and I distinctly remember Martin Booth making a reference to it in his memoir "Gwei Lo/Golden Boy".


What I can't quite determine at the moment, because I lack a decent map, is whereabouts in today's Walled City Park the Tin Hau Temple would have been located. As far as I know it was demolished along with the rest of the place (although some older buildings were preserved e.g the Almshouse), however, it's a while since I ventured there and perhaps it still stands in some corner somewhere. Failing that an approximation of its location would be nice. I will try and find out...

2 comments:

epotterfield said...

Was just checking out your site in reference to the Walled City and Blood Sport. I have the book "City of Darkness" about the Walled City and it has a map. It was in the far northwest corner. If you would like a scan of the map I could provide. :-)

Phil said...

Many thanks for letting me know. I'd forgotten all about this post, although I did return to the area to confirm the temple was indeed demolished.
cheers
Phil

Post a Comment