Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bloodsport - Jean Claude Van Damme (1987) - Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

Here is one that was a real toughy for me simply because I have no memory of the area and also because the URA have managed to eradicate pretty much every bit of the older neighbourhood when they constructed the monstrosity that is known as the "Masterpiece" (not really the most fitting of names, in my opinion) which houses the K11 mall and the new Hyatt Regency.

To the rescue comes Michael Tomkins, a former resident of the area, who was nice enough to provide the identification of this one.


This is (as mentioned in the post title) Hanoi Road and it is one of the streets (that still exists) most affected by the redevelopment, but thankfully there were enough clues on screen to confirm the location. First we have the presence of a large banyan tree in its concrete box, followed by some of the businesses that can be seen including the Mayur Indian Restaurant (underneath the one for D'Elysees), the Home Restaurant (blue with red writing on right hand side) and the partially obscured Eddie Siu tailor sign (white at the back).

As you can see from the modern view below...it has ALL gone!! The sole remaining survivor from the redevelopment seems to be Eddie Siu's tailor at #2 Hanoi Road. The big space on the right hand side of the road is where the K11 mall now stands. Notice the structure behind the van in the shot below as well. This is an entrance to East TST station - another thing that has changed the whole area since it was built and one of the most perfect examples of lack of foresight in city planners (they tore down the much more historical and aesthetically pleasing KCR train terminus in 1978 because it was considered useful anymore - the train terminus was moved to Hung Hom a few years earlier and here we are 30 years later with the Govt having to rebuild a TST train station...)


To be honest, I much prefer the character of the area as it was, the new look is just too clinical, clean and generic, and its always a great shame when a big old banyan tree is ripped out for the sake of development.

Anyway, a big thanks to Michael for giving me the identification. More from this part of TST as the chase unfolds over the next few posts...

5 comments:

TiagoW said...

I think this would be the right angle of the shot: http://goo.gl/maps/Bzu7a

Phil said...

further back? okay, many thanks Tiago. I only went down here once or twice before they redeveloped it all and I think it was at night and I was also probably drunk... ;-) Cheers, Phil

Anonymous said...

This is the right angle of the shot. Great find! So sad that everything it's long gone.I love the old Hong Kong from the 70's/80's

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+Hanoi+Rd,+Tsim+Sha+Tsui,+Hong+Kong/@22.298158,114.1734563,3a,75y,121.96h,104.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTFqObuVX93pwImbftqb9fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x340400ee09ac4d47:0x689506443ea30a10!8m2!3d22.298045!4d114.173812

Anonymous said...

I might be saying the same things as the others, but the Mayur restaurant was on the north side of Hanoi Road (for sure), midway on the block (pretty sure). It was on an upper floor, not street level. I ate myself catatonic at the buffet there many times in 1984-1987. I went back to the area a couple years ago and had a frustrating time geographically.

Hervé said...

thank you so much!!! \o/ I had seen this film when I was little, it had marked me, especially the open fracture of the leg! But I saw the movie again at the beginning of April and seeing that famous scene with this song that goes so well, I weirdly fell in love with the city with its neon signs that cover all the streets.
I thought it was still the same today but I learn that they are almost all gone ... I am very very disappointed :'( I would never see this dream hk. (I managed to find the address thanks to the BCC building)

https://youtu.be/c_HSV7-SES0

Post a Comment