Monday, August 12, 2013

Yellowthread Street (Opening Titles) - 1990 - Hong Kong

A quick trip back to my A-level days here and a series that, at the time, fascinated me but sadly was only shown once (as far as I know) on terrestrial TV in the UK before being repeated every so often on some satellite channels. The fascination for me should be obvious to anyone who read s my blogs - it was filmed in HK at a time when I was very interested in the place (as I still am).

The producers only made one series before it was canned - an understandable decision when you see some of the episodes and the plodding dialog as well as some really poor acting. Just as the whole thing was starting to improve, it ended.

I did hear from one of the series' writers (some involved in one of the more standout episodes, I hasten to add) who told me that Season 2 was going to be much more in the mold of HK action films. I think it would've been fun, but such is life.

Anyway, now I have manage to get my hands on the whole series I thought it would be fun to include some of the locations here. Starting with the opening credits, courtesy of the series musician Roger Bellon.


Now the introduction has been done, we can get on with the locations, I'll do them episode by episode (13 in all) if I can but will start with some of the places we can see in the opening sequence above.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this too and wouldn't mind watching it again - where did you get hold of it? Still not on Amazon.

Phil said...

Hi Anon - I actually got my copies through an online merchant who had the whole series recorded off the TV when it was shown (back in 91?). They've put them all on to DVD. Cost me a bomb :-( (but worth it for the memories).

I don't believe they have ever been released on a commercial basis. I was even told by one of the writers involved that he had never seen the program he helped create :-o

Unknown said...

Hi again. I worked around three weeks on the second series as a Production Manager before it was canned. We had production offices in, I think, Lancashire road, just off Waterloo road in Kowloon Tong. We had the scripts for each of the first 6 episodes and I was working with Gavin Bocquet, the production designer, trying to find suitable locations. It was disappointing to have the series cancelled but then we hadn't really got very far with it in any case...

Phil said...

Hi Neil
I recently spoke with Lawrence Gray who penned (at least) one in the original series. He had high hopes for #2 and it sounds like it would have been fun to watch had it gone ahead - lots more HK-style action. Oh well.
Phil

Anonymous said...

Good day Phil.Please tell me this show was filmed in 1989 or 1990 year?Thank You.

Phil said...

Hello anon. To be honest I'm not sure. I suspect if Neil is still around he could give specific dates. I will guess 1990 because it was shown in the UK in 1991...I think :-)

Unknown said...

Hi again. YTS was shot at the same time as were filming Double Impact, so it would have been between between October and December 1990. I remember it was tough for us to get second unit and tracking shot crews as all the freelancers we would normally use were busy on the Yellowthread shoot.

Unknown said...

No, completely wrong! YTS was filmed while we were doing 'In the Shadow of China' in June/July/August 1989. Same comments about the scarcity of crew remain, however.

Phil said...

thanks for confirming Neil - I will get around to posting some YTS locations, eventually...:-)

Emma said...

Me too - paid about £30 for it. Shows you what ITV/Yorkshire TV could make if they got off their backsides and released an official DVD.

Unknown said...

Ive got the making of on tape from ytv airing

Phil said...

I had no idea they even made one. Is it any good?

Post a Comment