Saturday, September 26, 2015

Knock Off - Jean Claude Van Damme (1997) - Lin Heung Tea House, Wellington Street

The eating scene in this movie was filmed at a bona fide HK establishment called Lin Heung (蓮香樓). I've never eaten there but it always seems to make it into the guide books for its authentic Hong Kong eating experience. It may be the only place left that allows the old blokes to hang their bird cages from the ceiling while they eat (there was another similar place in Mong kok often used by filmmakers - e.g. John Woo in Hard Boiled - that went under the wrecking ball when the Langham Place mall was built).


The restaurant is on the corner of Wellington Street and Aberdeen Street but these days seem to just be listed as the Lin Heung Bakery, so I'm not sure if the restaurant itself has moved or not? I'll assume not because it looks as though the steps up the to first floor restaurant (top picture) are still accessible. Writing about this is making me feel hungry, so I may venture out this way next week and see if it has changed.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

Was the main entrance of Lin Heung shown in the movie please? I asked because the original Lin Heung was on the opposite corner of the present day location. Lin Heung used to occupy a whole building over there. But I have forgotten since when did they moved over to the present day location.

T

Phil said...

Hi Thomas - no, I don't think it was. just the quick shot of the stairs that you see above. Cheers, Phil

gweilo8888 said...

Perhaps instead of Tsui Wah, we should put this on the list for whenever I next visit. ;-)

Phil said...

sounds good, bring your 360 camera ;-)

Post a Comment