Sunday, March 19, 2017

Foxbat - Henry Silva (1977) - View from The Peak, Hong Kong

Foxbat is an English language Hong Kong film made in 1977. I've known about this film for a while because Jon Benn plays a small role as some sort of head honcho at the CIA but have had a hard time tracking down a copy until I found a company that had a DVD release. This was great for a first look at the film but some of the locations needed a higher resolution to pinpoint, so I have returned to the film a few years later with a Bluray version and managed to squeeze some extra locations out of it. However, the increase in picture quality has come at the cost of a more restricted aspect ratio so some of the height available on the DVD has been lost from both the top and bottom of the Bluray. I'll show an example in a later post.

The film starts off with a Russian jet fighter (the "Foxbat") being flown into Hokkaido in northern Japan and all the countries around the world are scrambling over themselves to get hold of its technology. The action soon moves over to Hong Kong as the various interests all meet up to strike a deal. So here is our first look at Hong Kong as the camera focuses on a bird flying around i the thermals above Hk Island.

(Edit 2020: I'm still trying to figure out which house is in the foreground. I initially thought it may be Katoomba but that building shows up in a later post and isn't a match. I'll update once I have figured it out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment