Monday, December 17, 2018

Flight to Hong Kong - Rory Calhoun (1956) - Tiger Balm Gardens, Tai Hang

This has been a long time favourite for foreign film makers in HK and it's just a shame that we only get to see a black and white version for this film. I wonder if there is a colour version of this film somewhere? If anyone knows please let me know.

Anyway, it's where the lead man (Rory Calhoun) meets up with his friend (played by Soo Yong). One of the images is a back projection studio shot. I've included it because it has an angle on the old swimming pool I haven't seen before. It's a weird shot because all it involved was Soo Yong rubbing the front of a Buddha statue (in a rather dodgy looking fashion) for good luck. I don't remember there being any Buddha statues at this place (it's been nearly 25 years since I went though) so I guess the film makers threw it in there because they had seen it going on at various temples and thought it added a bit of authenticity.

Another back projection shot filmed in the studio

No comments:

Post a Comment