Friday, December 28, 2018

Strangers - John Simm (2018) - Sung Kong, Shek O

On to the next subject of the blog and this time it is an ITV series (consisting of 8 episodes) starring John Simm and Anthony Wong Chau-sang as two guys who married the same woman (Dervla Kirwan). Said woman has been killed in Hong Kong under suspicious circumstances.

For some reason the show has been marketed as White Dragon in non-UK territories which is a bit of a pants name to be honest. I prefer the Strangers title as it relates to the general story better.

When the show first came out a few months ago there were a few online critics of it who questioned how realistic it is but, to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As someone very familiar with HK way of life I could nitpick the hell out of it but despite this I still found the story to be very good and well worth watching. The production has captured some really amazing sights and sounds of HK

It is a nice twisty story and the cinematography is outstanding - showing HK off in all its colours. It seems to be a show that will sustain the blog for quite some time to come so, as I have done with previous shows, I'll tackle it on an episode by episode basis and try not to throw out too many spoilers.

There are a whole bunch of establishing and mood-setting shots for this show and for the most part I will probably stick to the major scenes. The problem is there are so many nice images to use that I just can't resist and will probably just chuck stuff up as I see fit...and so the very first shot is a view of Sung Kong island (islet?) from Shek O beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment