Friday, May 17, 2019

Felicity - Glory Annen (1978) - Tai Ping Shan Street, Sheung Wan

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure about this place but it is the only one that makes any sense. My problem is that the area has changed so much that it is impossible for me to confirm categorically one way or another. Anyway, it's a scene when Felicity and her friend (played by Joni Flynn) head to a temple. The Chinese writing we can see in the clips is the same script (and style) that can be seen at the Pak Shing Temple on Tai Ping Shan Street.

I *think* the large characters on the first image say 勝地 (reading R-L), which basically just means it is a famous place/scenic spot. If this is the case then I think it adds to my belief that this is the temple on Tai Ping Shan Street, or at least a former version of it. However, I am hoping Chinese readers will be able to confirm.

At the top of the second image is the words (also read from R-L) 濟公聖佛. This appears to be one of the set of characters that still appears on the Pak Shing Temple exterior and I can only assume that it refers to one of the shrines within the temple dedicated to 濟公 - a Song Dynasty monk - but I can't be sure.

Anyway, it's quite obvious that the building we see below looks nothing like the current structure that was supposedly built in 1851. However, its seems too coincidental to me that these images share the same Chinese signage as the current Kwong Fuk Ancestral hall. So I will put this one up and hope somebody is able to confirm one way or another and fill in the gaps in details.

No comments:

Post a Comment