Saturday, June 1, 2019

Narazumono - Ken Takakura (1964) - View from Penha Hill, Macau

For the remainder of the film, the setting moves across to Macau and this is one of the best use of Macau I have seen in a foreign film. There is lots to see and some of these places have been a little tricky to track down. Luckily, after plugging in some of the street names into Google, I got some hits from FLICKR that confirmed my thoughts and also told me some locations I hadn't been able to spot.So in the spirit of reciprocity, here is the FLICKR account of the film locations obsessed Japanese traveller, and here is the album specifically dedicated to Narazumono. So, a big thanks to Mamiko Oka for some excellent pictures.

Anyway, back to Macau, and I think our Japanese friend missed this one. It is the initial establishing shot for the move to Macau and is a panning shot taken from the northern end of Penha Hill. Perhaps snapped from the the church courtyard, or the lower garden terrace looking north. The road in front (second image) is the Travessa do Colégio. I don;'t know what the old columned building is next to it but its not there anymore and when the Google streetview car was in the area the site was empty, but now it looks as though a couple of sports pitches may have been put there.

No comments:

Post a Comment