Sunday, June 19, 2022

Signal Hill/Blackhead Point - Now and Then

I took a side trip up to Signal Hill in Tsim Sha Tsui the other day because I remembered that Ryan O'Neal shot a brief scene here for Oliver's Story back in 1978. I was able to capture some reasonable comparisons on my phone and you can see them below compared to the film captures.

As you can see below, the pavilion is still there but the red tiles have been removed from the columns (I think that's a recent thing because I'm sure they were still there when I was last here a few years ago) and the balustrade finials have also been removed and just replaced with a pyramid style point.


Looking east from the battery. In the distance you can see Yau Tong/Lei Yue Mun area. The block behind Ryan O'Neal's feet is actually a granite boundary stone that has the letters W.D.L 54 etched into it. I think W.D.L should stand for War Department Lot. I think the railings are still the same ones.


This is looking towards the east side of the battery. I actually had to climb on a wall/fence for this shot because as you can see in the modern images, the battery is now fenced off for being "dangerous". I have no idea what danger it poses other than someone could potentially slip and sprain an ankle (hey, that's why the Govt have concreted miles of hiking trails in the hills).


The next angle shows the west side of the gun battery. Not much of a view today though, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment