Monday, April 22, 2024

Drunken Master - Jackie Chan (1978) - Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall, Fanling

Here's one that no one seems to have noticed before, and to be fair, I only just did too. I just posted earlier about this location, but it was only after a bit of further investigation that I realised that the Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall was also the location where the hitman (Wang Jang Lee) picks up his secret contracts and where he first encounters Fei-hung (Chan). What we're seeing on screen is the hall when it was still very much in disrepair prior to its full restoration in 1992.

The exact location used in the movie is the second courtyard/end hall at the back of the building. One thing to notice is that the wrought-iron grill (see images 3 & 4 below) above the wooden door is still in-situ. I have to say that now that I know this, it makes the restoration of the hall even more impressive given how it looked before. It's been many years since I went here in person so I can't remember if this rear section is even open to the public. Perhaps someone can let me know in the comments.

4 comments:

AP said...

You really are the HKG. Bey says in his book '36 Chambers' this was an abandoned ancestral hall in Yuen Long.

Pip the Troll said...

I think Yuen Long is his goto call for anything he doesn't know for definite haha. To be fair it's a good hedge, but Fanling it is, this time.

AP said...

Just been checking out the place via google earth and the google sphere photos. 100% the right place. Need to watch 'Drunken Master' again. I'll add it to my list of must visit places if I ever get back to HK.

Pip the Troll said...

you'll need to stay several months at this rate haha

Post a Comment