Saturday, April 13, 2019

Black Cobra Woman - Laura Gemser (1976) - Lung Ha Wan, Clearwater Bay

Julius invites Eva to go back to his home island so he can show her where he was born. It's not explicit where this island is supposed to be, but the fact that they supposedly fly there means it is somewhere other than Hong Kong. In actual fact, these island scenes were filmed around the Lobster Bay promontory in Clearwater Bay at the very end of Lung Ha Wan Road. I once spent a couple of hours walking around the rocky shoreline and so am quite familiar with the terrain.

The first location is not the main Lobster Bay beach (with the old destroyed concrete ramp) but in fact a smaller one just to the south. When this film was made there was really nothing here but the Clearwater Bay Equestrian Centre appeared here around 2008 (I think) and now I am not sure if there is access through there without following the route I took around the rocks.


Had I known a film had been shot here at the time I would have made an effort to at least recreate the angle used. However, as it is, in my picture above the large rock left of centre is the same one seen in the background of the screen grab. The flat rock on the left of my image is the same one Laura Gemser is lying in front of in the film.


This second image above was a bit more fortuitous. The only thing that has changed really is the amount of greenery that has sprung up. Judging from the tide, I guess the filming was done in the morning at a lower tide.


The next part of Lung Ha Wan seen on film is the flat grassy area that tops the promontory. See the shots above. These days it has been designated as a kite flying area, but actually, hardly anyone ever comes here. I had the place to myself and was here in the middle of summer (that's why the views are so clear). What I will say is that it looks as though the area has been deliberately levelled a bit more because behind Julius' (Gabriele Tinti) head is a slope that no longer exists.

Finally, the rather gruesome murder scene (actually, you don't see what happens, but the manner of Julius' death is explained to him before it happens) was filmed on the southern end of the promontory where there is a much larger stony beach. This particular section has been very popular with all manner of foreign and local movie makers over the years. It still looks pretty much like this (although with added plastic flotsam these days) as you can see from my own picture. You can reach it these days by just waking to the far side of the equestrian centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment