Friday, March 11, 2022

Bruce Lee: True Story - Ho Chung Tao (1976) - Mongkok Road, Mongkok

A bit of nostalgia for me because this was part of my old VHS collection when I was still at school (we're talking circa 86/87) so I spent a good many hours rewatching. I hadn't seen it for a good 30 years when my good friend, AP, sent me a copy and I was quite surprised by how many of the scenes I recalled immediately. For those who don't know, this film (also known as Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth) was Ng See Yuen's attempt at a "biopic" of Bruce Lee. To be fair, it's not a bad portrayal and no more far-fetched than Rob Cohen's Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

A fair bit was filmed around Bruce's old haunts in the US (Seattle, San Francisco etc) before the action moves to Hong Kong but there is a scene early in the film as Bruce (Ho Chung Tao) goes to visit his sifu, Yip Man, for one last bit of practice before moving to the US. In the film, Yip Man was portrayed by Yip Man's real son, Yip Chun, and the venue for this farewell scene was (apparently) Sifu Chiu Wan's school, located at 28 Mongkok Road.

I have no idea if the school is still around but the plaque at the back reads (r-l) 詠春正統 or "Orthodox Wing Chun", and was supposedly given to Sifu Chiu Wan by Yip Man himself.

If you are a Wing Chun expert and can add (or correct) anything about the school and its Sifu then please feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment