Sunday, February 12, 2023

Police Story 2 - Jackie Chan (1988) - Ting Kok Road, Tai Po

When the bombers use a public telephone box to make their next extortion demand, they use a call box in Tai Po near to the Tin Hau Temple on Ting Kok Road. The scene starts with a beat policeman walking along Mei Sun Lane (top image). This is an interesting shot for me because in the background is Eightland Garden. This is the very first place I stayed when I first visited Hong Kong in 1995. My friend's family had a flat in there. The taxi driver dropped me off on On Chee Road ecause he had no idea where the place was and I was left to wander around asking in my stilted Cantonese where the address was. An old person who spoke English took pity on me and showed me the way. 

Anyway, nostalgia aside, the cop takes a call to go an find out who is using the phone box. The phone box is on the other side of Ting Kok Road and the bad guy jaywalks across the road to grab a cab when he is stopped by the cop. Actually, this area looks very much the same now as it did back in 1988, with the exception of Mei Sun Lane which now looks slightly less ramshackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment