Monday, February 13, 2023

Police Story 2 - Jackie Chan (1988) - Austin Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui

We come to a point in Police Story 2 where the Cantonese DVD release I have differs from the HD version on Netflix (at least HK Netflix). The following sequence involves the police tailing one of the suspected terrorists (played by John Cheung) but on my DVD release is significantly shorter and plays out with a background music track like a montage. The extended version on Netflix contains dialog and several extra locations.

The sequence starts with John Cheung's character exiting a billiard hall onto a large stone staircase. This is a location that I am having a hard time pin-pointing. Lots of things have changed since 1988. He walks down the stairs but the location (and stairs) in the next shot is different. These stairs were easier to find because I inadvertantly walked down them last week when I was walking from Hillwood Road down onto Austin Avenue.

Apologies for the quality of the screen shot but this is from my phone. It's one of the shots missing from my DVD version and has been done using my prehistoric phone pointed at a screen. The planters, or at least a version of them, are still there. Look carefully and you can see the old Yau Tsim Mong District Council emblem sprayed on the bottom one in yellow paint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The location of large stone staircase is Po Hang Lane(蒲蘅里)

Pip the Troll said...

many thanks anon. It's completely not where I expected - so it would have probably been assigned to my pile of "never to be found" locations. Much appreciated for the information. I'm also impressed you knew what I was talking about - you're obviously an aficionado.

Post a Comment