Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Game of Death - Bruce Lee (1978) - Red Pepper Restaurant, Causeway Bay

I have no idea why this place was chosen for the gangster's HQ in GoD - perhaps because of its Chinese style exterior. Anyway, it is still around and still does a roaring trade (it must do to have survived so long in the face of ever increasing rents). I've never been but you can find it on Google Streetview if you head over to Lan Fong Road.


The film was engineered for the restaurant to have several floors so that the editors could crowbar Bruce Lee's pagoda footage into the part of the film when his character supposedly makes an assault on the place.

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Hi Phil --

Something that makes me laugh: how close the Red Pepper Restaurant (AKA the villain's lair) is to the Po Leung Kuk where Bruce Lee had a secret meeting one dark night in the same movie... ;)

Phil said...

hehe, I can remember you telling me about the PLK scene, and I only just got around to seeing it.

There are some great locations in that film despite the truly awfulness of it overall. It's just so bad it's not even funny.

Actually, I would like to know why the Chinese name of the place is in fact "Naam Baak Lau" (South North Restaurant) but the English one is Red pepper?

Post a Comment