Monday, May 16, 2011

Soldier of Fortune - Clark Gable (1955) - Tin Hau Temple, Yau Ma Tei

No sooner have we left Temple Street in The World of Suzie Wong and we find ourselves seeing a view taken only 5 years earlier for Soldier of Fortune. Although judging from the screen grabs of both films, it looks as though a wall was constructed in front of the temple at sometime between the two films being made (i.e. sometime between 1955 and 1959/1960).


The scene also pans across so we see the temple as Clark Gable's character pops inside to consult one of his informants. Believe it or not this temple once stood at the waterfront - no, it hasn't been moved but the sea that used to be to the front of it has just been reclaimed so much that the place now sits over one kilometre inland. This is a common occurrence in HK.

Here is a more recent shot of the Temple front. I suspect that a bit of rebuilding of the temple has gone on as well as the wall that stands in front of it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Phil! I've been the Mido Cafe a couple of times but never bothered to check out the Tin Hau Temple. Next time, I'll go hang out in the square before I get my sai do si and yuen yeung at the Mido.

And I can't believe that the temple used to be on the waterfront. Something else to ponder while I'm there!

Phil said...

Hi Dave

Much to my shame I still haven't been to the Mido. It's been on my to-do list for a long time because I hear they do a good Jue Pa meen.

It's amazing to see that even after nearly 60 years that building is still there.

Cheers, Phil

Post a Comment