Thursday, July 9, 2015

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Jason Scott Lee (1993) - Sands Street, Kennedy Town

Following on from our initial location post at Lo Pan Temple, another locale (very close to the temple) can be seen. It's a quick shot of Bruce running up some steps either on the way to (or from) the dance where he beats up the British sailors, I can't remember which but I guess it doesn't matter. Anyway, have a look.


What you can see is Sands Street and its steps that lead up to Ching Lin Terrace. I guess having two locations close by is handy from a logistical (and money) point of view so it wouldn't surprise me if these two scenes were filmed around the same time?

One thing I have noticed about this film is that Rob Cohen, the director, doesn't seem too fussed about including modern anachronisms in the film and, at many points, much more modern buildings can be seen in what is supposed to be 1970's Hong Kong. Still, it does mean that we see a lot more of Hong Kong than we would have otherwise. A good example of this is the building on the right (with the arched doorway) which was actually built in 1991 and was probably brand new when this film was made. I haven't got a matching angle, but this Streetview grab shows many of the same buildings are still around.

2 comments:

gweilo8888 said...

I'm glad you included that last paragraph. I'd not paid attention to the date in the title, and was slightly bewildered to see late 80s / early 90s-era buses alongside a 60s/70s-era Leyland FG lorry.

Apparently the attention to detail went as far as making sure there was at least one vehicle of the correct vintage, but not quite so far as having the newer ones moved around the corner. ;-)

Phil said...

I guess I can't complain too much, trying to get everything right would probably be logistically impossible and massively expensive. I think for most viewers there is no difference, it takes someone with a better knowledge of HK to spot these things. It's like I said, at least this way they were able to make more use of the whole place - and it's the real deal - rather than modern films that use the large sets at nanhai and elsewhere.

Post a Comment