Monday, May 13, 2024

To Be Number One - Ray Lui (1991) - Arbuthnot Road, Central

Ming's (Lawrence Ng) apartment, where he is having an affair with Fat Kwan's girlfriend May (Amy Yip), is located on Artbuthnet Road. Sadly I don't know the name of the building because it has long been demolished and replaced with a development called  "Bel Mount Garden". Anyway, it's here where he and May are rudely interrupted, mid-coitus, as Fat Kwan's men burst in and threaten them both. Ming escapes by jumping out of his window in the buff and runs off down the road.

"Coitus Interruptus" is quite apt considering you can see the old Caritas Francis Hsu College building next door - Caritas being a Catholic organisation that runs schools and health facilities here.

3 comments:

Rodney said...

Excellent find and a cool coincidence! I actually looked for this specific building recently, so I'll add my two cents that have been devalued by another reverse Adam Cheng effect. A character in TVB's 1979 classic The Good, the Bad & the Ugly ( better known as The Man in the Net) lived here. I don't know that the building had a name because in the close-ups, I only saw the numbers '15' and '17' on opposing sides of the front entrance.

There were also parking spots in front of the building then, but in your second screencap, they appear to have been removed for those two big planter/garden beds. I thought it was a decent looking building and it is nice to see it appear on screen twelve-years apart.

Doesn't Ming nearly get separated from his crown jewels before he does his swan dive out the window? In fairness to the perve, he would not have been copulating next to a Caritas facility if this was set in the '70s, '80s. The '79 TVB camera angle showed a single school crest in place of the Caritas lettering because it was the Pui Chung College then. The car Ming landed was a Ford Granada Mark II and a facelifted one at that, which is early-'80s. The Toyota Cressida in the Kennedy Town scene and the Volvo at the Tai Wai restaurant were both mid-to-late-'70s.

The louvered building at 28 still looks the same as it did in '91, '79. I even went all the up to Caine Road from Arbuthnot because I was already nearby. Unfortunately, I didn't have one of my favourite cars, Citroen DS, bringing me to a tryst with the Yipster. I had to walk up, literally bathed in my own sweat and filth.

Pip the Troll said...

Yes, they threaten to cut his manhood off with some garden shears I think. I reckon I would swan dive out of that window too if it happened to me. Haha. Lots of modern anachronisms in this film given the time period it was set. Before the heady days of CGI.

Rodney said...

Tried to grab a screencap of how it looked in '79, but the app no longer allows it. I do wonder why the parking spots were taken out though.

Post a Comment